How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sea Glass Marbles      Share

Sea Glass Marbles

I saw a old post Sea Glass Marbles 01-11-2007 that was unfavorable to the theory that marbles where used as ballast on ships in the old days.

I live on a island which at one time was a huge exporter of rum to Europe. I have found over 2000+ marbles on the beach and told by historians on the island that marbles (and old broken porcelain dishes) were filled in the rum barrels as ballast on the way back to the Caribbean. It seems very logical with the amount of marbles I find? But the earlier poster really seemed to not think this was the case.......Any comments?

Re: Sea Glass Marbles

My thoughts would be, looking at your pictures of marbles.... They are not old enough to have been on those ships..
    But I am sure someone else will be able to add more info than my theory...
    Joe
    BTW... Welcome to the board.. Hope you enjoy your time here...

Being machine made glass marbles those would all be 20th century marbles definately eliminating them as ballast candidates. Peace,Galen

I have no doubts that they were found at the beach.. Just not from ship ballast..

I doubt a fish tank would cause the damage/haze seen on those marbles. I've polished a 100+ aquarium marbles and havent seen that kinda damage.
    I agree with Joe and Galen, not ballast from an old ship, for obvious reasons.
    I does remind me of the damage/haze which was on the shipwreck German handmades Del was selling a few years.
    given that, I'd say stensta's have been subjected to tides-sand-current-sea-ocean.
    But when,what, where and how they were in the deep six I havent a clue
    Buddy
    Still posting thanks to a lengthy appeals process

I sea glass hunt a lot! Here is some of my glass I have found! Also marbles I have found also! I don't find them a lot! Windy
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    LOL,
    Windy
    Always looking for Marbles!

I promise they were all found on a beach. I posted this to try to help get some information of why I am finding so many on the beach not to try to trick people. I do not even have fish!....if the ocean is a huge fish tank then I guess I did...

In the pictures above are they all machined made? Is there a easy way to see for someone with NO marble experience to see that?
    Last edited by stensta; 02-24-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: adding

I agree with you that it seems like a lot of marbles coming off of a beach to be just the random ones lost by kids, etc. Did you find them all around the same beach/location? Where - Florida, Puerto Rico, Texas etc? Over how long of a period did you collect them? I would need to know this information before I would even think about guessing how they came to be where you found them. -Ric

The marbles have all been found in St Croix, US Virgin Islands. I find some near the pier and other throughout the the other beaches on St Croix when looking for sea glass. BUT.... Last spring there is a beach I decide to explore and climbed over some rock, finding a 50 yard small beach (cove). At one point I was getting 100+ marbles a day from this one small area. Not finding any marbles on the beach the other side of the rocks. I can still go to the same spot and get anywhere from 10-30 marbles. Sometime more then other times. I am always hoping the same current comes in that brought the jackpot last spring.
    Majority came from the one area, yet I find some at the pier, and a very small amount long misc beaches.
    I hope the this answers some of your questions. Please let me know if not. I also have more pictures if that would help......THANKS!
    Last edited by stensta; 02-24-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling

I want to come beach Comb... That is awesome that you are finding so many marbles... Not to mention the other sea glass and shells I am sure....
    Keep on snagging them up... Maybe you will hit the jackpot and find a rare marble, although it would have to be polished to bring it back to it's origial ( somewhat ) look, and that would lower the value a lot...
    I just think it is awesome to find so many like you are.....
    Thanks for sharing...
    Joe

stensta, The marbles in my picture above have both handmade and machine made. I do know that sea glass ends up in certain places due to the currents and tides! My favorite place to hunt sometimes has a lot and big pieces. Sometimes nothing for months. When it is low tide it's better. Also you can walk down the shore just a few feet and there is nothing ever! All the marbles I have found are right at my favorite place. So what I am thinking where ever you live the currents and tides are bringing you the marbles due to the weight and how strong the tides are! Does that make sense. Nobody can say where they came from! It could be kids playing on the beach with marbles, it could be a ship weck, it could come from China, or Hawaii. Thats what makes it fun! Just wondering how they got there! I would put them in a vase of water or a fish bowl. When there wet they don't look to damaged! Enjoy! Windy
    LOL,
    Windy

Makes me want to go to the ocean and throw some of my marbles out there and see if anyone ever finds them... LOL
    I know my signature would be worn off before it made it anywhere...

LOL,
    Windy

Stensta, Your story is very interesting. St Croix is a beautiful place. And I'm sure that ocean currents have something to do with it. But where the marbles came from, who knows? I wonder if they ever used marbles as ballast in buoys or the like? -Ric

Here is a link to some pictures of my marbles. Also a link to some of my sea glass for anyone interested.
    Sea Glass Marbles
    Other Sea Glass